This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.


Carers Champions Newsletter – August/September 2011 »

What kind of services are available to help carers?

Do you look after someone who could not manage without your help?

Do you support someone? If the answer is yes who supports you?

Carers are people who provide help and support to a family member, friend or neighbour who cannot manage on their own due to physical or mental illness, disability, substance misuse or frailty brought on by old age. Carers can be any age.

Many carers do not see themselves as Carers for different reasons. You may be looking after your:

  • Husband, wife or partner
  • Siblings
  • Friend or neighbour
  • Child with disabilities
  • Parents

Let your GP surgery know if you are a Carer

Your surgery needs to know if you care for someone to ensure that you are supported effectively.

Collect and complete a 'Do You Care for Someone?' leaflet from reception to register as a Carer. You will then be provided with a Carers Information Pack that contains information to help you support your own health and wellbeing.

Your information will remain confidential within your GP records and will not be shared with other agencies.

Carers Assessments

The local authority has a statutory duty to offer Carers Assessments. This can be a productive way of identifying your needs as a Carer.

The eligibility criteria to access a Carers Assessment requires that you provide regular and substantial care, which equates to 14 hours per week.

If you are providing less than 14 hours a week and feel your caring role is impacting on your our health and wellbeing you are also entitled to access a Carers Assessment.

To request a Carers Assessment Call Derbyshire on 08456 058 058.

Emergency Card Scheme for Carers

The Emergency Card provides 'peace of mind' to Carers if anything should happen to them. It helps council staff at Derbyshire County Council to get in touch with friends and relatives and if necessary provide replacement care for the cared for person.

To request a Carers Emergency Card complete the Record of Carers Details on the back of the 'Caring for Carers' magazine and return it to Derbyshire County Council.

Alternatively; ring Call Derbyshire on 08456 058 058 to complete the application.

Local Support Services

We cannot include all of the local invaluable organisations that are available to support carers but you can access all service information through the NHS Derbyshire County Information Prescriptions at here and click on the link for CARERS.

Derbyshire Welfare Rights Service

Advice for carers on benefits, tax credits or employment issues
Benefits help line: 0845 120 2985
e mail

Derbyshire Carers Association

Provide emotional and practical support to Carers in Derbyshire administer the carers breaks scheme
Head Office: 01773743355


Help and support for families and carers of substance users within Derbyshire
Free phone 0800 068 5718

Alzheimer's Society

Supporting people with dementia, their families and carers
Derby Office: 01332 208845
Chesterfield Office: 01246 223366

Derbyshire and Derby City Young Carers

Support children and young people who regularly care for a family member
Derby: 01332 370430
Chesterfield: 01246 207752

Mental health forums

Self help groups of carers holding forum meetings and support groups
Chesterfield: 016258440 or 01629 58125

Derby: 01629 822337 or 07891 450119

Carers UK

National Carers organisation promoting Carers Rights

Carers Direct

NHS signposting service for Carers with useful advice & guidance

Princess Royal Trust for Carers

National Carers organisation and resource

Crossroads East Midlands

National charity who provide care and support to services to Carers at home

Derby SEND Information Advice and Support Service

Provide support to parents & carers of children with disabilities
Derby SEND, Information, Advice and Support Service

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website